Respect: the act of consideration or thoughtfulness. Showing respect for the U.S. flag is nothing more than stopping to consider the relevance of this symbol of liberty. The derivation of the word respect literally means "look back at, regard, consider."
Section 8(g) The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.
To consider what the flag represents is easy because our history books are filled with entries of the heroic deeds of men and women standing in the way of tyranny. Standing up for what is right, sometimes in the face of terrible odds.
Andy’s fans had a great 2007, traveling all over the world to see Andy play. Andy’s 2008 season kicked off at the Kooyong Classic, and that will also mark the first of our fan reports for 2008.Madi and Amy went to see Andy at Kooyong and shared their experience with andyroddick.com.“Kooyong began on Wednesday and we went, all kitted up in our American outfits (Ed’s note – every year, Madi and Amy go to Kooyong wearing dresses made out of the American flag). We’d decided this was the final year we were going to dress up in the outfits. (bold is mine)
Our freedom guarantees us the right to respect or disrespect—the choice is ours. Because of our freedom, we have the right to disrespect everything that represents this country and the liberties we have. Respect is merely the act of looking back at the price paid for the freedoms we have, giving us the right to show disrespect. Respect should be easy, but it’s not.
Why is respect so hard? Let’s think about it.
- Respect is hard because people don’t want to think about sacrifice.
- Respect is hard because people don’t want to think about reverence.
- Respect is hard because it requires reflection.
- Respect is hard because it requires us to consider others, rather than ourselves.
- Respect is hard because it requires reflections on the past and the price that was paid.
- Respect is hard because it requires unselfishness.
- Respect is hard because doing the right thing is never easy.
- Why do you think respect is so hard a concept to grasp? Let me know in the comments.